Translate

Sunday 11 May 2014

R.I.P. Go Pro

Most of you know how fond I am with taking pictures… well, I made a last attempt; I bought a Go Pro in Denver. A Go Pro is a miniature camera that can be pegged on a helmet, the bonnet of a car, the mast of a boat etc. and records whatever is worth recording. It is about an 5cm wide and 3cm high and fits into a kind of pod with a pad. We control it either with a remote or with an Ipad. I thought it could be fun to put this on the bonnet of our van and record some parts of our journey this way. Brilliant idea, right? Well… First it took me four weeks and the help of three friends, Jessica and Leo for the engineering and Maury for the operating parts, to make it work; I am not very interested in cameras so I was procrastinating a bit. Once it did work, it was kind of fun, I did some filming in the San Juan Islands and Redwood NP. We decided to put it on when crossing on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. So, we stopped a bit before at a gas station, I pegged the Go Pro on the front of the van and off we went. We were on a four lanes highway, and then, just before reaching the Golden Gate, ohhhh, no more Go Pro… this idiot fell off the car and there was no way to retrieve it on a highway. I have to admit that I must have not tied it properly, but still… so this was my last and final attempt at taking pictures or making movies… I do not even have a picture of this Go Pro as a memory… but as we all know, best memories are kept in mind, not in pictures!!! Leo, sorry for this, but you will not be able to have it at the end of our journey…

2 comments:

  1. It's great that we can share your adventures Xenia. Shiree and I will check into your site often and I love the photos! Just awesome. Go safe, drive well and no need to tell you to 'enjoy'. We'll miss you in Jelsa this year as we sail past in 'Gumnuts' instead of 'Wild & Woolly'.

    ReplyDelete